Translate

Wednesday, December 27, 2023

New Project for 2024

 I've been involved with the Canadian Quilters Association (CQA) for quite a few years now.  I've lived in different provinces and regions all across Canada and am a proud Canadian, as I do not really have a 'hometown'.  We moved around too much for that!

In that capacity, I was asked questions and then researched to find out more information about 'A Quilt For Canada'.  This was NOT a project of the CQA, but some people associated this project with them.  

It took a while, but I eventually, through luck found out all about it!  

It was 1990 and Canada's  125th Anniversary was coming up.  Deborrah Sherman who published her own quilting magazine had an idea to collect blocks from across Canada and create a large quilt to celebrate Canada!  I love projects that promote Canada....

By the time the project was complete, there was a total of 464 blocks sent in from all the provinces, the USA and abroad.  All Canadians, all ages, all abilities put stitches in the final sandwich pieces that were then connected into one quilt.  The finished size is 15' x 17'.  That's FEET! It was displayed in Ottawa and then toured Canada a bit with Eaton's and also the Creative Sewing and Needlework festivals.  


I have since received permission to share images of the blocks and the project.  Deborrah still has the quilt , as no one in the 90's wanted to take possession of it.  I'd love to see this beautiful work displayed again.  We are hoping to find a permanent home for this LARGE quilt, so I started another blog about it.  Check out A Quilt for Canada.  

I will be posting blocks each week and more information about the project.  It will take me the year to post all of them, so please be patient! LOL! Some of the block descriptions do not have a photo.   If you have pictures of the block you or someone you know made and we do not, please share! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input! As soon as I see it, your comment will be published. Hugs!

St. Patrick's Day and International Quilting Day!

 Woohoo! Time for some green Quilts! LOL! Not often that these two days land on the same weekend. I finally finished one of my UFOs (unfinis...